Periodically I enjoy a list of the things that are filling up my bucket at the moment. Here are a few right now:
- Heavy, the new single from Linkin Park – I’ve been a fan of Linkin Park since Hybrid Theory came out. That album and Meteora are probably two of my favourites ever. When I first heard Heavy I was surprised by the different sound, but now I could listen to it on repeat all day.
- Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller – This book came up as a recommendation in Chapters, on my Amazon page and on Goodreads and by the fourth or fifth time I saw it I decided to just buy it and see what it was all about. I’m not yet half way through the book and I’ve been totally drawn in. The chapters switch between focussing on Flora, the daughter, and letters written by Ingrid, her mother. (Affiliate Link). If the ending sucks, I’ll update you.
- Bananagrams, The Game of Life, etc. – I love board games. My sister and I always played them together, we played with friends, family. As I got older, Joe and I played board games with friends, sometimes hosting them at our place, sometimes playing at someone else’s. The kid has a growing collection of board games, including The Game of Life Junior edition, but as far as I’m concerned that one pales in comparison to the original, which is still easy for young children to play. Soon she will have the necessary skills to play Scattergories.
- Lucy Neatby’s Cat’s Pajamas Hand Painted yarn. Specifically in Fiesta. I love this yarn and its gorgeous colours. I’m working on a pair of socks with. I’ve got one sock done and am now realizing that I won’t have enough yarn to finish the second sock. I think I’ll be able to get the heel flap done, and that’ll be about it. This is a tragedy. But if I’m forced to order another skein, I can make the kid a matching pair…
- The Summa Strategies weekly update email. For anyone interested in what’s going on on Parliament Hill this is a useful tool. And I’m a sucker for useful tools that help people stay informed. I also subscribe to iPolitics‘ daily emails and the Globe’s morning update. I’ve also signed up for updates on American news from Buzzfeed.
- The West Wing. We’re re-watching/watching. The first time around we got distracted sometime in season three and never finished. I’m not sure how that happened because it is such an excellent show. I was a huge fan of Sorkin’s Sports Night and the writing is just as good. The characters are amazing. And the stories are so very relevant now it’s almost as though Aaron Sorkin knew what was coming.
- Arrival and Moonlight. I have now seen a few of the Academy Award nominees. I found La La Land boring and Manchester By The Sea well… boring. Nothing really happened in either of those movies. Arrival and Moonlight were human stories that made me feel.
- Rupaul’s Drag Race Season 9 – The return of one of my favourite shows on Out TV (And OutTVGo for those of us without cable). At the moment I’m rooting for Charlie Hides, but I’ve heard rumours of some leaks and spoilers. We’ll see.